Mission of the ONEN Transit Committee
Recognizing that a robust and efficient transit system is essential to the health and mobility of a thriving community, we aim to work with various stakeholders to optimize the network serving our region. We strongly encourage a distributed system that reduces walking distance for our local riders, and minimizes impact to residents. We resist permitting our residential streets to be used as a cut-through to connect remote riders between distant urban nodes.
Transit System Must be Scaled to Our Region
- We must provide transportation options to those who cannot, or prefer not, to drive
- It is our duty, and it enhances the vitality of our neighborhood
- Although vehicular traffic through the Old North End has been falling slowly for many years, there are projections for growth
- If buses can be packed with neighbors who would otherwise have driven, it will reduce the impact of auto traffic
- If travel by personal car in our region ever becomes difficult, it will be good to have an established transit system
- It would be a disservice not to recognize that transit vehicles also bring negative consequences
- It does not serve our neighborhood to collect riders from remote areas of the city and divert them through our neighborhood
- Therefore, we strive to promote a system that is scaled to our region, and we resist becoming the core of a city-wide transit network
Our Plan for Action
- Get educated: These are complex problems with serious technical and political obstacles. Follow the links below to get started.
- Take Action: Coordinated action with a unified voice yields the greatest impact for optimizing our situation