RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD COSTS
• INCREASED HEAVY VEHICLE TRAFFIC THROUGH
• SCHOOL ZONES
• SCHOOL & NEIGHBORHOOD CROSS WALKS
• DIFFICULTY BACKING OUT OF DRIVEWAYS
• EXTREMELY FINE ROAD DUST
• CARBON DIOXIDE
INCREASED ROAD DAMAGE
• THE DAMAGE FROM ONE BUS EQUALS THE DAMAGE CREATED BY 11,038 AVERAGE WEIGHT PASSENGER CARS.
• ROAD DAMAGE INCREASES DISPROPORTIONALLY AS VEHICLE WEIGHT INCREASES
• 2020 PASSENGER VEHICLES WEIGH BETWEEN 3200 TO 5000 ILB.
• SET 4000 LBS AS THE AVERAGE WEIGHT OF A PASSENGER CAR
• GILLIG CORP. MANUFACTURES COLORADO SPRINGS’ BUSES
• SINGLE BUSES WEIGH 41,000 LBS – CHECK OUT THE LISTED CAR WEIGHTS IN DETAIL
• ARTICULATED BUSES (DOUBLE) WEIGH 81,000 LBS.
• FORT COLLINS (1/3 OF CS’ SIZE) IS CURRENTLY USING ARTICULATED BUSES. THEIR TRANSIT LINE RUNS PARALLEL TO A RR LINE – NOT THROUGH A RESIDENTIAL AREA
• U.S. GENERAL ACCOUNTING OFFICE (GAO) PROCESS WAS USED TO CALCULATE RELATIVE STREET DAMAGE
• USING THE GAO’S PROCESS, THE STREET DAMAGE FROM ONE 41,000 lbs BUS IS EQUIVALENT TO THE DAMAGE CREATED BY 11,038 CARS
• THE CALCULATION:
41,000 WEIGHT OF BUS/4000 WEIGHT OF CAR =10.25 TAKEN TO THE 4TH POWER IS 11,038 CALCULATION OF RELATIVE STREET DAMAGE
A study by the U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO) determined that the road damage caused by a single 18-wheeler was equivalent to the damage caused by 9,600 cars. (GAO: Excessive Truck Weight: An Expensive Burden We Can No Longer Afford). The study found that, road damage was related to the 4th power of the relative loads. That means that if one vehicle carries a load of 1,500 pounds per axle and another carries a load of 3,000 pounds on each axle, the road damage caused by the heavier vehicle is not twice as much, but 2 to the 4th power as much (2x2x2x2 = 16 times as much road damage as the lighter vehicle).
BENEFITS TO NEIGHBORHOOD
HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DETERMINE ONE BENEFIT FROM HAVING A MASS TRANSIT SYSTEM RUN THROUGH THE NEIGHBORHOOD ESPECIALLY WHEN IT DOES NOT PICK UP PASSENGERS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
THE CURRENT PLAN CALLS FOR A STOP AT UINTAH, PENROSE HOSPITAL AND STOPS NORTH OF FILLMORE
WE ARE TO RETAIN CURRENT BUS SERVICE ON LINES 9 & 19 WITH ITS CURRENT MULTIPLE STOPS