Mission of the ONEN Street Safety Committee
In recognition of the pressure to expand transportation duties through the Old North End, the Street Safety Committee aims to work with various stakeholders to meet the needs of a growing city while reducing the volume of non-local traffic and calming the traffic that remains.
Why is Street Safety Critical for Our Neighborhood?
- Although we have only approximately 5,600 residents, there are 32,000 vehicles per day that traverse our four Minor Arterials
- Our roads were designed before automobiles, and safety measures have not been adapted to the purposes that the roads now serve
- The number of vehicles has been slowly decreasing over the past 30 years, resulting in much higher speeds
- As a result, residents have recorded 7 traffic related fatalities since 2002, and witnessed countless other devastating accidents
- Furthermore, traffic noise and other consequences increase exponentially with vehicle speed, reducing livability and walkability
Due to our location, there will always be pressure for expanding the use of transit infrastructure through the Old North End Neighborhood. ONEN has a long history of reducing or mitigating the impact, but there is more work to be done. We’re glad you’re here to help!
Our Plan for Action
- Get educated: These are complex problems with serious technical and political obstacles. Follow the links below to get started.
- Take Action: Coordinated action with a unified voice yields the greatest impact for optimizing our situation